I had just turned 10-years-old when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and plunged America into World War II.
Hiroshima, Nagasaki, VJ Day
- Almost 100,000 died instantly in Hiroshima
- Aug. 8 Soviets declare war on Japan
- Aug. 9 almost 70,000 killed in Nagasaki
- Radiation kills many more
- After the bombs, Japanese still wanted to fight
- Emperor goes on air to tell Japanese they must surrender
- People's first time hearing the Emperor's voice
- Aug. 15 V.J. Day
- Soviets fight on until Aug. 30 in Sakhalin Islands
USA dropped bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Radiation kills more people. After this, the Emperor orders to surrender.