The great and abiding lesson of American history, particularly the cold war, is that the engine of capitalism, the individual, is mightier than any collective.
The Berlin Blockade, 1948
- Began with currency reforms in West Germany
- Russian block the transportation routes into Berlin
- Allies had options : give up Berlin, start a War, or make other plans
The Berlin Airlift, 1948
- US decided on a massive airlift to supply the western half of the city
- One aircraft lands every two minutes for 15 months
- A public relations victory and a show of US industrial might
- Example of the Truman Doctrine
- One cause for the formation of NATO, North Atlantic Treaty Organization
Russians blocked the route to Berlin so USA sent an aircraft every two minutes for 15 months till Russia gave up.