My grandfather was a general in the Nationalist Chinese Air Force during World War II, and I grew up hearing the pilot stories and seeing pictures of him in uniform.
- Dec 7 1941 Attack on US Naval Base in Hawaii
- Not intended to put USA into war
- They thought US would be too soft to reclaim that territory
- Objectives: sink and immobilize US battleships and carriers
- Eight battleships were damaged, two were lost and three were absent during the raid
- Japanese failures:
- Oil depots weren’t destroyed
- Aircraft carriers are absent
- Submarine pens were not destroyed
- USA declares war on Japan
- Hitler declares war on USA on Dec. 10
Japan invaded Pearl Harbour, not intending to put USA into war. They almost succeeded except made some failures. This leads USA to join the war.