The Berlin Wall wasn't the only barrier to fall after the collapse of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War. Traditional barriers to the flow of money, trade, people and ideas also fell.
The Hungarian Uprising, 1956
- First major uprising by a satellite state to remove Soviet influence.
- Hungarian leader Imre Nagy announced he was pulling out of the Warsaw Pact
- Soviets invaded the capital Budapest with tanks and armed forces
- 30,000 Hungarians killed, 200,000 fled
- Soviets installed a new leader Janos Kadar who agreed to follow the Soviet line (20 years)
- people questioned why US didn't help
Hungary announced to pull out of the Warsaw Pact but Soviets invaded the country. They installed a new leader. US didn't help.